M4P, Livelihood Research on Kalari Cheesemakers
Project Holder: JATINDER HANDOO, ICFAI school of public policy,Hyderabad, email@example.com
Mission: To empower hill based traditional dairy farmers economically by carrying out issues based research in agriculture sector and influencing public policy.
Vision: A hill based society with livelihood security
a)Role of public policy for economic development of dairy farmers in the hills of Jammu and Kashmir (state using the case of a traditional cheese kalari.)
b)How public policy can enable development of value chains and appropriate markets that can improve the livelihoods of small holder dairy farmers in remote hilly regions of J & K.
1. To identify and analyze current kalari production and marketing system various stakeholders their interaction and role play
2. To identify various components of kalari value chain,
3. To map and analyze gaps in the existing policy and institutional arrangements for smallholder dairy units
4. To get a quality report/paper on cheese kalari value chains including policy arrangements and markets.
5. To get a paper/ livelihoods policy brief published and post it to policymakers and bureaucrats in the state so as the information can help decision makers
6. To use the results of the study for policy advocacy in future
7. The study can be a used as a case for the future works in hill based livelihoods models by centre for civil society.
– Focus on the interface between development and policy making
– Evidence based policy making as theoretical framework
(a) Primary and Secondary Data,
(c) Stake holder’s Voice
– Focused Group Discussions
– Personal Interviews
– Secondary Sources
(Govt. Reports, Bank credit
Plans, Books, Journals, papers
Target Group/ Beneficiaries/Collaborators:
• Gram Panchayat
• State Deparment of animal husbandry and dairy
• Organised marketing &dairy development organisations like NDDB,
• Kalari middle men
• Skuast agriculture university Jammu district rural development
• agency Udhampur (ministry of rural development)
• Kalari farmers
• Banks/ MFIs
• State Department of agriculture
• state Agrostology unit under the state forest department
• Local milk parlors owners, halwais, resturant owners,
• village development committee
Total Budget: 10,000
Travel and Data Collection: 60%
Cost Sharing:Self Financed : 25%,CCS: 75%
Time Period: APPROX. ONE MONTH.